Tuesday, August 7, 2012

SCBWI 2012 Summer Conference

So, last weekend I donated my brain to SCBWI. From Friday, August 3, to Monday, August 6, my brain was filled up, squeezed, kicked around and cuddled. I feel happy, fulfilled, drained, and beaten down all at once.

The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators 41st Annual Summer Conference was one for the books (HA!). A dream-cast of illustrators, editors, agents, writers, writer/illustrators and more inspired everyone, stomped them down, ripped them apart, patched them up and got their motors running to leap back in and move forward. If you want to grow and succeed in the children's lit biz (from picture books to YA), then I highly recommend SCBWI. It's world-wide, supportive and honest.

So, I met Tony DiTerlizzi, Melissa Sweet, Jon Klassen, Antoinette Portis, and a host of amazing illustrator and writer attendees. More on all of them later.

I also met amazing editors and agents. If you don't know what these people do then it is worth your time to research it. These people are amazing. Neal Porter was particularly inspiring... as luck would have it, I got to sit next to him at the Sunday luncheon... small talk, I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to show him my portfolio because 1, the poor man just needed to eat, right? And 2, my portfolio wasn't ready. All I learned in the previous days told me I was approaching this all wrong. More on that in another post.

Suffice it to say, I have a lot to say about what I learned at this conference. And I'm going to tell you most of it. So stay tuned.

 And if you ever get to see any of these people, do yourself a favor and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment